Sunday, January 9, 2011

My First Post!!!

Well, this is my first attempt with this whole blogging thing.  I'm pretty much addicted to several DIY blogs out there, so I figured I'd give it a go!

It's currently snowing here in Arkansas and I'm in my warm house, watching my fav shows, so I figured now was as good a time as any to get started in my blogging adventures.  I definitely have no idea how this whole thing works so I guess I'll get started with my first DIY project (I'll appoligize in advance!  Bad lighting + Iphone = terrible photo quality).


So, here she is....


I had been looking for a good desk for a while, so when I saw this at an estate sale several months ago, I knew I had to have it!  It definitely needed a lot of work.  The veneer was cracked and peeling and it looked like someone painted it while blindfolded.  


I love the details and curvy legs


Let me just tell you that this was a nightmare!  Chipping away at this old veneer made my hands sore for days!!!   After several days of sanding and applying wood putty, I had a "blank canvas" to work with.  


I applied a new veneer top (which I bought off ebay) and got to priming/painting/staining and ended up with this....



I would love to have feedback on this project so I can hopefully improve in the future!  And I promise to have better quality photos next time :)


Photobucket                 









12 comments:

  1. That is a FABULOUS redo! I love a natural wood top with painted legs and apron!!

    As for buttons, copy the html and paste it in your post wherever you want the button to show up.

    Welcome to blogging! So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your desk! I love the combination of a natural wood top with the painted legs.

    Great first post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job at tackling veneer! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! It is such a pretty piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT JOB... IM NEW AT BLOGGING TO. I STARTED IN NOVEMBER. LOVE THE COLORS YOU CHOOSE. I AM YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it is PERFECTION! I laughed when you said someone painted it blindfolded - that describes quite a few pieces that arrive in my shop. You really, really, did a great job on this, and congratulations on your very first post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren...welcome to the party. Please link my button or link to your post to get word out there...thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful piece! I'm working on a chest of drawers for my sons room. I may do a post on it IF it turns out good;0) Welcome to the blog world. I'm stopping in from Debbie's blog party!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice table. I wish I was brave enough to take on furniture. Maybe some day. Well I enjoyed your post and found you Debbiedoo's

    Hope you have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! you did a great job!! love the table. I am your newest follower, please follow me back, we can be new bloggers together

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go girl! This is a marvelous makeover and a great first post. Welcome to blogging. It's so addictive. Finding you via Debbie's Newbie party. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
    Have a great day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a great job on the desk! It looks fabulous! I'm your newest follower from Debbie's newbie party! Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete