Monday, January 17, 2011

Flea Market Cabinet Re-Do

Well, after a nice long winter break, I start back to nursing school tomorrow.  I'm excited and dreading it at the same time (is that even possible?).  This semester, I'm doing my psych rotation!  Should be interesting!  I thought I should go ahead and post something tonight because who knows what my schedule will look like with school.  

So, this past summer, I checked out several flea markets with one of my nursing school buds and I found this beauty....



I think there are few people in the world who can envision the true potential of a piece of junk like that thing (and I think I'm one of those people).

Anyway, I loaded 'er up and headed home.  Over the course of several weeks and with the help of my awesome parents (my dad has the coolest work shop and I happen to live about 3 min from their house), I turned that ^^^ into this.....



So, to start, I completely took the cabinet apart piece by piece and used citristrip (sp?) to strip all the paint off.  By the way, that stuff makes a HUGE mess but does the job!

After putting it all back together, I added a few pieces of molding around the top and bottom and added some legs from Home Depot.

I sanded the pieces down really good and got to painting.  I used rustoleum oil based paint and found I had to add quite a bit of paint thinner because it was so thick. The color was a very bright, fire-engine red and was way too bright for my taste.

So, after some distressing with sandpaper and my husband's handy little hunting knife, I used RL tea stained glaze to tone the color down a bit.  I did several coats of the glaze because the red was sooo bold (it's still a little too red for me but it definitely looks better than before).

I used the original hinges but bought a new know at Hobby Lobby.  I also had a piece of glass put in the door.

And now, I have a nice little book case for all those stinking nursing books :)



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. You and your dad did an awesome job on this makeover...thanks for sharing it at my NTT party!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all did a great job and I love the red. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done and that red is just gorgeous!
    Hoping you have a lovely weekend.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren, nice to meet you. I love what you did with your cabinet, it looks so cool now and up to the times.
    I see you are new,and I wanted to let you know I am doing a series on helping newbies out. I will be having a newbie linky party on January 31st. Would love to see you. You will meet a lot of nice new bloggers like your self. I am following you too now.

    ReplyDelete