So, this past summer, I checked out several flea markets with one of my nursing school buds and I found this beauty....
I think there are few people in the world who can envision the true potential of a piece of junk like that thing (and I think I'm one of those people).
Anyway, I loaded 'er up and headed home. Over the course of several weeks and with the help of my awesome parents (my dad has the coolest work shop and I happen to live about 3 min from their house), I turned that ^^^ into this.....
After putting it all back together, I added a few pieces of molding around the top and bottom and added some legs from Home Depot.
I sanded the pieces down really good and got to painting. I used rustoleum oil based paint and found I had to add quite a bit of paint thinner because it was so thick. The color was a very bright, fire-engine red and was way too bright for my taste.
So, after some distressing with sandpaper and my husband's handy little hunting knife, I used RL tea stained glaze to tone the color down a bit. I did several coats of the glaze because the red was sooo bold (it's still a little too red for me but it definitely looks better than before).
I used the original hinges but bought a new know at Hobby Lobby. I also had a piece of glass put in the door.
And now, I have a nice little book case for all those stinking nursing books :)