Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pet Par-tay



There's a pet party going on over at Debbiedoos !

Meet Beau (aka Bo-Bo):

My husband got Beau in the summer of 2006 (when we were still dating).  I had just gotten back from my senior trip and, when I got home, he surprised me a sweet, little, brown ball of fur.  Beau is a chocolate labrador retriever.  He's definitely a wild man but he has a sweet, cuddly side when he's in need of some lovin'.  His favorite past time is fetching tennis balls and sticks from the lake.

Beau loved all the attention he got as an "only child" but, a month after my husband and I got married, in 2008, we brought home another bundle of joy ;)....

Meet Homer (aka Homie, Home-dog):
Homer is a weimaraner.  I brought him home as a surprise for my husband after we got married.  He is definitely the sensitive one in the family.  It doesn't take much to "hurt his feelings" ;).  He LOVES to cuddle and he is the best running partner I could ever ask for.
Beau + Homer = BFF
I can't even watch TV without Homer cuddlin' with me

Worn Out (Homer as a puppy)!
























Monday, January 17, 2011

Flea Market Cabinet Re-Do

Well, after a nice long winter break, I start back to nursing school tomorrow.  I'm excited and dreading it at the same time (is that even possible?).  This semester, I'm doing my psych rotation!  Should be interesting!  I thought I should go ahead and post something tonight because who knows what my schedule will look like with school.  

So, this past summer, I checked out several flea markets with one of my nursing school buds and I found this beauty....



I think there are few people in the world who can envision the true potential of a piece of junk like that thing (and I think I'm one of those people).

Anyway, I loaded 'er up and headed home.  Over the course of several weeks and with the help of my awesome parents (my dad has the coolest work shop and I happen to live about 3 min from their house), I turned that ^^^ into this.....



So, to start, I completely took the cabinet apart piece by piece and used citristrip (sp?) to strip all the paint off.  By the way, that stuff makes a HUGE mess but does the job!

After putting it all back together, I added a few pieces of molding around the top and bottom and added some legs from Home Depot.

I sanded the pieces down really good and got to painting.  I used rustoleum oil based paint and found I had to add quite a bit of paint thinner because it was so thick. The color was a very bright, fire-engine red and was way too bright for my taste.

So, after some distressing with sandpaper and my husband's handy little hunting knife, I used RL tea stained glaze to tone the color down a bit.  I did several coats of the glaze because the red was sooo bold (it's still a little too red for me but it definitely looks better than before).

I used the original hinges but bought a new know at Hobby Lobby.  I also had a piece of glass put in the door.

And now, I have a nice little book case for all those stinking nursing books :)



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My First Post!!!

Well, this is my first attempt with this whole blogging thing.  I'm pretty much addicted to several DIY blogs out there, so I figured I'd give it a go!

It's currently snowing here in Arkansas and I'm in my warm house, watching my fav shows, so I figured now was as good a time as any to get started in my blogging adventures.  I definitely have no idea how this whole thing works so I guess I'll get started with my first DIY project (I'll appoligize in advance!  Bad lighting + Iphone = terrible photo quality).


So, here she is....


I had been looking for a good desk for a while, so when I saw this at an estate sale several months ago, I knew I had to have it!  It definitely needed a lot of work.  The veneer was cracked and peeling and it looked like someone painted it while blindfolded.  


I love the details and curvy legs


Let me just tell you that this was a nightmare!  Chipping away at this old veneer made my hands sore for days!!!   After several days of sanding and applying wood putty, I had a "blank canvas" to work with.  


I applied a new veneer top (which I bought off ebay) and got to priming/painting/staining and ended up with this....



I would love to have feedback on this project so I can hopefully improve in the future!  And I promise to have better quality photos next time :)


Photobucket